The first Olympic quota places have been secured by boxers at the Asia Qualifying Tournament, which is currently taking place as part of the of the 19th Asian Games in Hangzhou, China.
18 of the 34 available quota places have now been awarded following the first week of competition which has featured 237 boxers from 38 National Olympic Committees (NOCs).
So far, the countries that have enjoyed most success in qualifying boxers for Paris 2024 are:
- China – 4 boxers
- India – 3 boxers
- DPR Korea, Chinese Taipei, Tajikistan, Thailand – 2 boxers
- Kazakhstan, Mongolia, Uzbekistan – 1 boxer
The first boxer to secure Olympic qualification was Yesugen Oyuntsetseg of Mongolia when she defeated Nazym Kyzaibay of Kazakhstan 4-0 in her Women’s 50kg quarter final.
The full list of boxers that have qualified to-date is:
- Light-flyweight (50kg) – Yesugen Oyuntsetseg (MGL), Yu Wu (CHN), Chuthamat Raksat (THA), Zareen Nikhat (IND).
- Bantamweight (54kg) – Preeti (IND) Yuan Chang (CHN), Cholmi Pang (PRK), Nigina Uktamova (UZB)
- Featherweight (57kg) – Parveen (IND), Yu Ting Lin (TPE), Karina Ibragimova (KAZ), Mijgona Samadova (TJK).
- Lightweight (60kg) – Thananya Somnuek (THA), Ungyong Won (PRK), Shihyi Wu (TPE), Wenlu Yang (CHN).
- Heavyweight (92kg) – Davlat Boltaev (TJK), China’s Xuezhen Han (CHN)
The coming days will see the remaining 16 Olympic places allocated with two slots available in each of the women’s 66kg and 75kg divisions and the men’s 51kg, 57kg, 63.5kg, 71kg, 80kg and 92kg+ weight classes.
Details of the draw and results of all the action from the Asia Qualification Tournament can be viewed here: https://boxing.athlete365.org/boxing-road-to-paris-2024/asia-qualification-tournament/
Details of the daily schedules and how to watch the action can be viewed at: https://olympics.com/en/news/asian-games-2023-boxing-preview-full-schedule-watch-live
Keep up with World Boxing news, results, photos, and videos through the official Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages: