The final eight Olympic quota places on offer at this year’s Asia Qualifying Tournament have been won, meaning all 34 places available at the 19th Asian Games in Hangzhou, China have now been distributed.
The tournament started with 237 boxers from 38 National Olympic Committees (NOCs) competing for the coveted Paris 2024 places.
And following ten days of fierce competition, all 34 quota places have been awarded.
The final eight boxers to book their place in Paris were:
- Men’s 51 kg: Thitisan Panmot (THA) and Hasanboy Dusmatov (UZB).
- Men’s 57 kg: Abdumalik Khalokov (UZB) and Shudai Harada (JPN).
- Men’s 80 kg: Tanglatihan Tuohetaerbieke (CHN) and Eumir Felix Marcial (PHI).
- Women’s 66 kg: Janjaem Suwannapheng (THA) and Yang Liu (CHN).
Today (Thursday) will see further competition in Hangzhou, but yesterday’s semi-final bouts mean all 34 quota places have been filled – with 11 different country’s celebrating after seeing their boxers secure spots at the forthcoming Paris Games.
The following countries will be sending boxers to Paris 2024:
- China – 7 quota places.
- Chinese Taipei – 4 quota places.
- India – 4 quota places.
- Thailand – 4 quota places.
- Uzbekistan – 4 quota places.
- Kazakhstan – 2 quota places.
- Tajikistan – 2 quota places.
- Democratic People’s Republic of Korea – 2 quota places.
- Mongolia – 2 quota places.
- Japan – 2 quota places.
- Philippines – 1 quota place.
The Asia Qualification Tournament is the third of five continental qualifying tournaments for the Paris 2024 Games to have awarded its quota places, following the European Games, which took place in Poland, and the Africa Qualification Tournament, which was held in Senegal.
Next up is the 2023 Pan American Games in Santiago, Chile (20 October – 5 November 2023), which will be followed by the Oceania Qualification Tournament, taking place as part of the 2023 Pacific Games in Honiara in the Soloman Islands (27 November – 2 December 2023).
When all five continental qualifiers have been completed there will be two final World Qualification Tournaments in 2024. The first will take place in Busto Arisizio, on the outskirts of Milan, Italy, (29 February – 12 March 2024) and the second and last Boxing Qualification Tournament will be held in Bangkok, Thailand (23 May – 3 June 2024).
Keep up with World Boxing news, results, photos, and videos through the official Facebook, X (formerly Twitter), and Instagram pages: